Armstrong Siddeley is one of these British brands of autos, for example Lanchester, Bristol and Alvis, that has stayed comparatively unknown to everyone. Nonetheless, these brands haven't failed to make their mark in the European and English motor business. These were prestigious and lavish automobiles which embodied both traditional components including the present day developments of the twentieth century. The normal English convention of the "gentleman's carriage" forms the base. However, sometimes, these cars also included radical technical inventions. The common denominator was excellent quality.
John Siddeley and the origins of Armstrong Siddeley
John Siddeley (1866 - 1953) was the creator of the manufacturer his name is partially carried by the brand. He started his career by creating tyres and bicycles in the Dunlop Tyre Company and also the Humber Bicycle Company. He put up the Siddeley Autocar Company in 1902. Two types of "Siddeley Cars" that have survived the test of time are a privately owned "Green Goddess" and one owned by Armstrong Siddeley Motor Ltd (now called the RollsRoyce Heritage Trust).
John Siddeley changed to Wolseley, and made automobiles under the "Wolseley-Siddeley" manufacturer between 1905 and 1909. They were notable cars which were purchased from the King of England and also the Emperor of Ethiopia and others. Another transport followed, this time for the Deasy Motor Company and between 1909 and 1919 automobiles were created under the "Siddeley Deasy" manufacturer. These vehicles were exceptionally imposing and were given proper names: The Dutch Queen Mother, Emma, purchased a SiddeleyDeasy Althorp Unique Cabriolet in 1912.
A plane worthy auto: Armstrong Siddeley 1919 1960
John Siddeley was associated with the creation of aeroplane engines during the First-world War. He entered into a partnership with William Armstrong on 1-november 1919. This is the arrival of Armstrong Siddeley Motors Ltd. The business went on to make both aeroplane engines and autos. The vehicles were built-in Parkside, Coventry while the department was found in Whitely Abbey. Nonetheless, influences from the aircraft industry continued to establish themselves in Parkside.
Through the very first couple of years, John Siddeley devoted himself to the selling of his own vehicles. Through the first-half of the Twenties income fast improved. However, the run-up to the Melancholy in 1929 threw a spanner in the works. Slogans including "Buy British", intended to trigger the home market, neglected to assist. It became apparent the business required to get more in public-relations. Quality was certainly no longer enough.
To turn the tide, England reached the peak of the depression in 1932, Armstrong Siddeley enlarged their range and launched among the most special automobiles it would every create; the "Siddeley Unique". The motor block was . (a sort of aluminium alloy mainly used in aircraft engines) and shocked people made from hiduminium. The Siddeley Special was a luxury auto which provided everything people at that time could desire including a decent cost. The RollsRoyce Phantom II Continental, a automobile, was twice as costly.
Armstrong Siddeley Special
John Siddeley retired in 1936, however the company continued to conduct business. However, regardless of the extensive variety of designs, revenue reduced as well as the business began to lose cash. In a world shifting towards automation many English car businesses continued to make automobiles which were assembled the conventional manner. This tendency continued in recent years after the Second World War. New versions, like the Typhoon, the Hurricane and also the Lancaster, looked incredible but had a feel to them. Throughout the 50's the conclusion of the line began to come into sight. Attempts at introducing smaller versions (the 234 and the 236) flopped. The Sapphire 346 was a wonderful, but quaint looking, auto. Armstrong Siddeley's last design, the Star Sapphire, was not able to shift this image regardless of the reality it offered technical invention. Nonetheless, the aircraft section grew in significance and became associated with costly tasks (the Hawker Hunter and also the growth of Harrier, a plane that could take-off vertically). Unfortunately, July 1960 Armstrong Siddeley was not in a status to carry on manufacturing and was discontinued on 31. Bristol Siddeley Engines Ltd. continued to make components for Armstrong Siddeley vehicles for the following ten years. This business was taken charge of by RollsRoyce Ltd. in 1968. The rest of the components were sold for the recently recognized Armstrong Siddeley Owners Club (A.S.O.C.) in 1971. The Armstrong Siddeley factory's remaining stock was set to the attention of the RollsRoyce Heritage Trust. You can reason that, ultimately, John Siddeley's autos were swallowed up by his aeroplanes.
The prototype of dignity: the "gentleman's carriage"
Armstrong Siddeley's vehicles weren't superlative cars. That's the reason they weren't always purchased by the elite, but by the maximum strata of the middle classes. They were automobiles designed for administrators, politicians, ambassadors, professors and physicians. Well-known owners of Armstrong Siddeley cars are Neville Chamberlain (prime minister before the 2nd World War), Sir Alan Cobham (an aviation pioneer), Sir John Campbell (owner of numerous hour information) and Ian Fleming (writer of the James Bond books). Armstrong Siddeley's autos were also owned by royals for example Edward VII, the Emperor of Ethiopia, King George VI (who even got married in an Armstrong Siddeley Pullman Limousine), Indian maharajas and also the Dutch Royal Family who owned two Armstrong Siddeleys (a Lancaster plus a Hurricane).
The sphinx: from mascot to racing car
Armstrong Siddeley's exceptionally quiet engines were once described by means of a journalist as: "as quiet and cryptic as the sphinx". It's a wonderful storyline. Nevertheless, a sitting sphinx (Greek design) were employed by SiddeleyDeasy as radiator caps as well as on fixed since 1912. This sphinx also featured on Armstrong Siddeley's radiator caps between 1919 and 1932. In 1932 this sphinx was replaced by one which was lying down (Egyptian style). This may have been carried out to generate an even more streamlined impact. In 1945 the sphinx was lowered to a head with a stylised Egyptian headdress. The 1952 Sapphire 346 featured a sphinx' head in what could be called wings. This may happen to be interpreted as a fighter-plane. Still this design wasn't well-received. The radiator cap to the brand's last vehicle, the Star Sapphire, returned to the inclined sphinx in the thirties.
The sphinx created by Armstrong Siddeley was not a mascot; it was a racing car. It was the both first and last racing vehicle created by the business and was called the "Sphinx". The Sphinx was a conventional JR chassis provided by the Allard Motor Company, fitted with a 6 cylinder Armstrong Siddeley engine. The body was assembled for Tommy Sopwith, who campaigned the auto extensively in the midfifties at Silverstone, Goodwood and Ibsley. In old age, the Sphinx was fitted with a Jaguar engine and was raced very effectively by Brian Croot, till it was offered in the 90's. It's now considered to be in France.
Read More ▼
New Photo Galleries
LATEST CAR REVIEWSmore automotive reviews