1946 Automobile Developments Ltd was formed by the British Motor-racing Research Trust which were formed by Raymond Mays and contains one board member from every one of the 40 business's that decided to back the job. If the car was accessible to run the business was to be renamed British Racing Motors Ltd. The job was supposed to design and construct a Grand Prix Car capable of conquering the might of the continental factory groups.
1949 British Racing Motors was formed after the conclusion of the P15 (1.5litre V16) Grand Prix Car
December 15th: P15/1 makes its first public look for the worlds press at Folkingham Aerodrome and it is exhibited by Raymond Mays. The V16 created more than 600bhp and was the primary engine ever to rev above 10,000rpm. Motorists could spin its wheels effortlessly at rates in excess of several other automobiles maximum.
1950 August 26th: advent appearance at Silverstone (Daily Express Trophy), P15/1 rests both drive shafts at the beginning
1951 The groups lone look are at the British Grand Prix, Silverstone. The two V16s driven by Peter Walker and Reg Parnell finishing 7th and fifth respectively despite both enduring burns in the new exhaust.
1952 Rubery Owen Ltd take possession of the group in the BRM Trust
As a result of dearth of Formula I newcomers, the FIA ran the World Championship for Formula 2 autos (2.0litre unblown or 750cc supercharged) producing the 1.5litre supercharged V16 dated before it were fully-developed.
The V16 spent the remainder of its own livelihood competing in Formula Libra occasions. Such was its awsome power, several leading drivers were enthusiastic to accept invitations to drive the automobile including Fangio.
The following Grand Prix auto - the P25 - didn't appear before the Daily Telegraph Trophy at Aintree in September 1955. This had an extra 2.5liter engine created by Stuart Tresilian and Colin Chapman labored in the suspension layout. Peter Collins drove the automobile on its introduction but crashed in qualifying and couldn't begin the race.
In 1956 Tony Brooks and Mike Hawthorn drove the automobiles in British F1 races, Brooks finishing 2nd within the BARC 200 at Aintree. Both didn't qualify at Monaco but three automobiles were entered and raced within the Brooks, British GP and Hawthorn being joined by Ron Flockhart. Not one of the three concluded and the cars weren't observed again that year in races. For the French GP Flockhart was joined by Herbert MacKayFraser but neither concluded and in the British GP the group ran Les Leston and Jack Fairman. Both retired with engine problems. Harry Schell and Jean Behra ran the automobiles within the Caen GP and also the little Frenchman won two weeks after. He won again in the International Trophy with Flockhart and teammates Schell second and third.
The BRMs appeared in the Modena GP with Jo and Flockhart Bonnier yet they both retired. The season finished with Maurice Trintignant concluding third for BRM in the Moroccan GP in Casablanca.
The 1958 season saw continued evolution of the P25 with Behra, Schell, Flockhart, Bonnier and various other motorists. The group was finally turning into a regular competition in the World Championship.
The 1959 period seemed like being another tragedy with Sir Alfred Owen going as far as to hand above a car for the British Racing Partnership within the hope the privateer team could operate the vehicles effectively. The functions staff reacted with a triumph in the Dutch GP in-may for driver Jo Bonnier.
For the 1960 period the team created the new P48 but motorists Dan Gurney, Graham Hill and Bonnier endured a sequence of mechanical difficulties and scored few points.
For 1961 Hill was joined by Brooks but fought hopelessly against the dominating Ferraris. The sole success of the season went to privateer Tony Marsh who won the LewisEvans Prize at Brands Hatch in October.
At the conclusion of the season Sir Alfred Owen demanded victory in 1962, threatening to shut the group when it wasn't successful. Hill won the Glover Trophy at the Global Trophy in May and also Goodwood in April and kicked-off the World Championship a week later with success in Holland. He proceeded to win the German, Italian and South African GPs and also the World Championship, with BRM using the Constructors' title too.
Although BRM began furnishing engines to the others, notably BRP, Scuderia Centro Sud, Scuderia Filipinetti, Scirocco - Powell Racing, RheinRuhr Racing among other teams the team remained unchanged in 1963. Graham Hill won at Watkins Glen and at Monaco however the growing season was dominated by Staff Lotus and Jim Clark. Hill finished as runnerup within the World Championship.
The driver lineup remained the same in 1964 while BRM continued to furnish customer engines.
In while old vehicles were provided to Scuderia Centro Sud motorists Masten Gregory and Ludovico Scarfiotti 1965 Hill was joined by Jackie Stewart in the works team. Stewart won the Italian GP and also the International Trophy while Hill yet again won at Monaco and at Watkins Glen. As Hill was again runnerup to Clark bRM concluded second to Lotus within the World Championship. BRM also won the non-tournament Mediterranean GP at Enna thanks to Jo Siffert at the wheel of the Rob Walker Brabham, driven with a BRM engine.
The new 3 - liter Formula 1 started in 1966 and BRM planned engine with the chassis. This is late arriving, large and uncompetitive. The engines were supplied by brm to Group Lotus but the sole win of the year came from Jim Clark in the UNITED states Grand Prix.
Hill left to join Stewart and Lotus was joined by Mike Spence in 1967. Old vehicles were furnished to Reg Parnell for Piers Courage and motorists Chris Irwin. Lotus began the season using the H16 engines but quickly changed to Cosworth DFVs. The 1968 period saw a fresh chassis - the P126 - designed by Len Terry along with a fresh V12 engine designed by Geoff Johnson. Pedro Rodriguez immediately changed to a newer P133 but Richard Attwood and others fought with P126. Rodriguez led in Spain and finished 2nd in Belgium. To the end-of the year a P138 appeared but wasn't so effective.
The 1969 period was little better with motorists John Surtees and Jackie Oliver. The new P139 was not aggressive and latearriving. In the midseason there is a reshuffle with while Aubrey Woods took over as head of motor development, working with Geoff Johnson Tony Southgate arriving from Eagle to head the chassis section with Peter Wright and designers Alec Osborne.
Southgate created a totally new auto - the P153 - with a new V12 from Woods. Sponsorship was identified from Yardley and Oliver and motorists Rodriguez drove.
Although the newest car wasn't successful and up-to-date editions of the P160 reappeared the P180 followed in 1972 with Marlboro sponsorship. JeanPierre Beltoise gave a triumph to the group at Monaco in 1972.
Because the team fell down the order in racing up-to-date versions of the P160 appeared until 1974. The procedure was kept going with Rubery Owen sponsorship until Owen's departure in 1974 and by the end of this year BRM went into liquidation. It was restarted as Stanley - Mike and BRM Pilbeam was recruited to design the P201. The group appeared occasionally in 1976 but by the end-of the year Louis Stanley declared a return for 1977 with a Len Terry layout and drivers Larry Perkins and Teddy Pilette. The P207 wasn't successful and also the group faded away at the conclusion of the full year.
There is an effort to resurrect the business in 1979 with a vehicle called the P230 but it was a flop.
1981 October 22nd: the rest of the vehicles and gear were sold at Auction by Christie's at Earls Court.
1984 The Spalding Street Factory was offered in two parts. The initial area to neighbours Delaine Buses who had previously got the adjoining AGE factory in the 1960 extension and 1939 to Lyalls Auctioneers.
Read More ▼
New Photo Galleries
- More Photos
LATEST CAR REVIEWSmore automotive reviews