Brockway Motor Company was a contractor of custom heavyduty trucks in Cortland, Ny from 1912 to 1977.
During WWII Brockway made G547 and G690 6 ton 6X6 bridging trucks, section of a conventional layout collection also assembled by White and Corbitt. G547 "Treadway" trucks had a big hoist to the back for selfunloading, as the G690 chassis were fitted with "Quickway" cranes, also found in bridging functions.
The business was bought by Mack Trucks Inc. in August 1956 and stayed a section of Mack until its close in June 1977.
Although many were driven by Detroit Diesels Cummins engines were chiefly found in Brockways.
There's a Brockway Truck show in Cortland every year with several events happening in the state Brockway Museum found in Homer, New York in the Central Ny Living History Center.
The hood ornament employed by Brockway was a husky puppy with pulling harness, thus giving Cortland the moniker of "Husky Town USA"
Of all of the different American heavy trucks produced during the past century, none just assembled than the usual Brockway, and was better handcrafted, custombuilt.
Challengers within the heavytruck business adopted the methods used by Henry Ford, with their cookie-cutter vehicles directed toward the mass-market.
Brockway Carriage Works
The organization's first house was really an extension of many cottage industries found in and about Homer, Ny. Bill Brockway introduced his own son, George, to talk about his curiosity and study the fledgling transport business, as was customary in these times. This interest definitely bore fruit, as George A. Brockway took on the household brand in 1889.
George (G.A.) Brockway held a constant eye on his present marketplace and lucrative future opportunities because the business started to move toward selfpropelled platforms. It wasn't long before G.A. understood that horsedriven buggies were doomed. Brockway took the plunge in 1909, as an experimental sideline offering when 30 alleged autodelivery wagons appeared. Following his intuition further, Brockway studied and contracted a wellknown, selfpropelled truck manufacturer, Chase Motor Truck (CMT) in Syracuse, Ny.
Production auto-wagons were driven by 15hp, threecylinder, 2-cycle, aircooled gas engines. This first attempt served Brockway's goal, even when his branded motorized product seemed similar to the CMT motorized stage. G.A. Brockway became more involved with his new enterprise with CMT by quietly getting its new business supervisor and getting a seat on its board. This shift enabled him to make Brockway-branded components and provide three entire branded truck platforms with three distinct cab styles. Consistent with this particular period of time, Brockway's new offerings included an openseat auto-wagon, a duck-top model, plus a onepiece panel cab.
12 months after its foundation, the fresh company had provided 95 motorized platforms.
Through the Roaring '20s, truck-making businesses followed business trends by buying competitive companies. Brockway made a determination in 1928 to buy the Indiana Truck manufacturer. The concept was supposed to diversify its marketplace using a variety of trucks in a bigger grossvehicle-weight rating. This purchase enabled Brockway to raise its revenue by over $ 15 million.
The Melancholy Strikes
By 1929, the business was methodically engaged in the complete process of line and manufacturer consolidation with its Indiana labels and Brockway.
Among the first American automotive pioneers, Autocar of Ardmore, PA, had started serious conversations with the senior Brockway. Being conservative to a fault, Brockway gently began buying huge blocks of Autocar stock. Against the unexpected stock exchange crash in October 1929, all purchases and conservations were off. Brockway's fortunes would likewise be caught off-guard when its brand value fell the same as a stone. As an effect, G.A. Brockway was compelled to lose his amalgamation strategies, kick-out his president, and market the remains of his Indiana manufacturer and production facility to White Truck of Cleveland.
Brockway was subsequently made to start re-organizing under the National Bankruptcy Act.
The business was lucky to weather that storm in a time when over 300 automotive manufacturers went under. Then, a fresh Brockway V-1200 heavyduty normal truck was launched, driven by American-LaFrance's V-12 petrol factory. The stage maintained to be the biggest truck provided 240-hp and built in the time.
12 months later, the organization introduced 11 added versions with enhanced aerodynamic styling.
The War Years
The business was leaning toward an actual cab-over truck style, and Brockway kind of followed the style. Although it had been known as a cab-over device, its style, actually, transferred the cab forwards to the chassis instead of within the motor. A variation was afterwards provided. Brockway stayed petrol powered, although diesel energy was beginning to go into the heavytruck industry.
The organization launched its new 260 tractor for the civilian market, and also the Korean conflict demanded more Brockway military units to be created.
In 1946, Brockway claimed somewhat over 4,000 trucks shipped for the civilian marketplace. Twentyfour months after, sales dropped by over 1000 vehicles. Although the firm introduced 20 new versions beginning in the 1950s, the state found itself in a deep recession. This is also another interval of important mergers within the truck-production industry. The suitor tried a fiveyear lease with the option to get Brockway for $5.5 million. Brockway's chance held, however, as H&B cannot create the mandatory funds.
The business soldiered on with its proven plans. Remarkably, the business finally added Continental diesel-engine choices in 1955. Using industry continuing to see buyouts and mergers, Brockway looked for suitors. Continental, its motor provider, also expressed an interest. None bore instant fruit, however, and Brockway's autonomy continued.
The Mack Link
Mack Truck of Allentown, PA, was also trying to find raised capital and monetary help to keep and expand its operations and gains.
Fortunately, North-east found value in retaining Mack both independent and solvent. Mack, with its new thoughts, began looking at growth. In 1956, the firm entered into a lease/purchase offer of Brockway for $3 million. The first amount was for just the latter's stock. Another fouryear lease would enable Mack to fully buy Brockway, if all went well, for extra cash. It was believed the Brockway buy would raise Mack's production capacities. Additionally, Brockway could be managed as another division of Mack with its recognized organization. The organization's making policy of construction by order was likewise kept. Mack-branded sales improved by 31 percent consequently.
A gigantic Brockway marketing campaign started in 1957 plus a fresh mascot. Administration requested Brockway to follow suit with the icon of its own, because Mack had proven its bulldog. The end outcome was Brockway's huskie, first employed in 1958.
A $ 1 million deal furnishing large trucks for the fleets of the Navy and Air Force did not hurt either.
About the item side, the firm launched a modified F-collection Mack cab in a cab over-engine configuration. The new 300series trucks, dubbed the 358 and 359, were added to meet the marketplace demand for the fashionable 90inch fender to rear of cab (BBC) trucks. The BBC had been dictated by the authorities for increased trailer lengths. Brockway revenue increased a whopping 25-percent in 1966 in a depressed truck market.
Although the tie between Brockway and its own parent, Mack, assisted in several ways, Mack's continuing cashflow difficulties as well as other mergers eroded Brockway's increases. Rumblings continued within the truck industry, even though continued independence was brought by the merger with additional funds.
Brockway Diesel Energy
Brockway launched several conventionals for industry in 1967. A 361 with a setback front axle, a 360 with a setforward front axle and two new versions of its 300series were added. Huskiedrive was added a year later, essentially a Mack attribute, combining a hightorque diesel power-plant using a transmission along using a 2 - speed rear axle. Caterpillar diesel power was added by the company in 1970, and also the brand new decade also found continued element sharing with the help of the lowprofile, cabforward 527 Huskiteer version.
The start of the ending came in 1973 when the power crisis and also authorities security standards challenged the trucking business.
The truck plant is shut by a wildcat strike down in 1977. As an effect, Mack closed down Brockway's facility and also the whole brand.
Read More ▼
New Photo Galleries
- More Photos
LATEST CAR REVIEWSmore automotive reviews