CMC

  CMC MOTORS BRAND HISTORY

In 1948, Mr. Allen and Mr. Cooper visited East Africa for selling Land Rovers and established a private limited company – CMC. The CMC Company had the capital of 10,000 pounds sterling and only two people as a staff. They borrowed offices in wooden buildings and just in 1952, the company moved into Connaught House. Four years later the CMC (Cooper Motor Corporation) was turned from a private company to a public company selling vehicles, parts, service and administration at the same place.

During the 60’s and 70’s the CMC Company added several brands such as Volkswagen, Audi, and Nissan Diesel, Nash, Marine crafts and Evinrude. The VW Beetle was the super star after its four victories at the East African Safari Rally. The VW Microbus was successful and revolutionary vehicle in the tourist industry. Among the acquired companies included the Wilken Group, which became CMC Aviation Limited later.

When the head of the CMC Company was J. Benzimra the company got a lot of great opportunities and did significant takeovers such as the Benbros Motors, passenger cars of the British Leyland and some medium commercial vehicle. Besides the CMC got its development which is today owing to its perfect location between Bunyala and Lusaka Roads.

In 1971, the CMC Company became the CMC Holdings Limited.

In 1974, the CMC started the first car assembly after long negotiations with Leyland Kenya (now KVM), when the CMC Company bought 33 percent shareholding of Leyland Kenya. Later in 1981, the CMC bought McKenzie Dalgety’s shares in Hughes Limited and got franchises of the Ford and Mazda Companies.

Now days the CMC is the greatest and largest automotive distributors of Kenya within East Africa.

Read More ▼
Search for:

share on printerest contact us
New Photo Galleries
LATEST NEWS
more news
LATEST CAR REVIEWS
more automotive reviews